Saturday, July 9, 2011

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter or Why is Your Hand on My Ass?

Reality  Check:  The double standard between the sexes still exist.

    Okay, no big shock there. But I would like to share with you an example of this. This story is true and I haven't embellished it. Don't need to.


    Last summer my wife and I were lucky enough to visit Universal Studios in Orlando shortly after the opening of the new Harry Potter World. My wife is a Harry Potter fan and has read all the books and while I haven't read the books I have been following the progress of the development of this venture from almost the start. We were both excited to be there, albeit for different reasons. Our excitement paled compared to many of the crowd in attendance. There were many Brits there who had come from much farther away to see J.K. Rowlings fiction come to life.
     While waiting in line to ride the centerpiece of the whole Harry Potter area the ride broke down ahead of us for about twenty minutes. While the line stood still we had a chance to get to know the people around us. There was a nice young British couple behind who had traveled all the way just to see and ride Harry Potter. The ride was fixed and we started moving once again and we finally got a change of scenery as the line slowly went along. The cue for the ride is a ride itself with much to see. So it was no surprise to me when the nice British lass bumped into me. I moved up a little to give her some space as the line stopped for a moment. But once again the women was pressed up against me. Just as I was about to turn and give her "the look", I felt a hand on my bottom... and then a squeeze. Suddenly the women jumped back and screamed "I thought you were my boyfriend.". "I'm so sorry." As much as I would like to think it wasn't an accident<G>, the bright red color of her face proved to me it was. Reality check for me. We had a good laugh and I had a story to tell time and time again about getting groped on Harry Potter.
     But what if the roles had been reversed? What if it were I that grabbed the young woman? The boyfriend might have beat the crap out of me. I might have ended up in jail. Who knows? But certainly there is a double standard here. Just sayin...


Blogger's Notes: Hope some of you are enjoying my ramblings. I have more blogs coming. I just finished an interview with an old friend, Rev Greene from the Church of What's Happening Now. I have an old thread that I will repost when I attempted to be cute and write about bringing my big screen TV home. What followed was much more than I bargained for, but it was quite funny. Also, I think I will bring back my Thanksgiving Day Parade. Finally, I am in negotiations to bring back an old friend(?). Can't say his name until I know for sure, but I can tell you he had a nickname, Rushie-Poo. 

No comments:

Post a Comment